NEXT

NEXT

작성일 : 14-03-09 09:17
조나단 아이센: 여러분들의 미생물들을 만나보세요
 글쓴이 : 설경도
작성일 : 14-03-09 09:17 조회 : 3,084  
   http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_eisen_meet_your_microbes [1129]
   http://www.vegedoctor.kr/ [1295]

우리의 신체는 미생물들로 가득 둘러쌓여 있습니다. 미생물들 중에는 우리를 아프게하는 병균도 있고 우리한테 잘 알려지지 않은 좋은 미생물들이 있는데 그것들은 우리의 건강을 유지하게 해줍니다. TEDMED에서는 미생물학자인 조나단 아이센이 이로운 미생물들이 좋은 영향을 끼치게하는 놀라운 방법을 공유하고자 합니다.

게시글을 twitter로 보내기 게시글을 facebook으로 보내기 게시글을 Me2Day로 보내기 게시글을 요즘으로 보내기

설경도 14-03-09 09:18

Reviewed by Thu-Huong Ha

0:15 I'm going to start with a little story. So, I grew up in this neighborhood. When I was 15 years old, I went from being what I think was a strapping young athlete, over four months, slowly wasting away until I was basically a famine victim with an unquenchable thirst. I had basically digested away my body. And this all came to a head when I was on a backpacking trip, my first one ever actually, on Old Rag Mountain in West Virginia, and was putting my face into puddles of water and drinking like a dog.

0:48 That night, I was taken into the emergency room and diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic in full-blown ketoacidosis. And I recovered, thanks to the miracles of modern medicine, insulin and other things, and gained all my weight back and more.

1:08 And something festered inside me after this happened. What I thought about was, what caused the diabetes? You see, diabetes is an autoimmune disease where your body fights itself, and at the time people thought that somehow maybe exposure to a pathogen had triggered my immune system to fight the pathogen and then kill the cells that make insulin. And this is what I thought for a long period of time, and that's in fact what medicine and people have focused on quite a bit, the microbes that do bad things. And that's where I need my assistant here now. You may recognize her.

1:47 So, I went yesterday, I apologize, I skipped a few of the talks, and I went over to the National Academy of Sciences building, and they sell toys, giant microbes. And here we go! So you have caught flesh-eating disease if you caught that one. I gotta get back out my baseball ability here.

2:13 (Laughter)

2:16 So, unfortunately or not surprisingly, most of the microbes they sell at the National Academy building are pathogens. Everybody focuses on the things that kill us, and that's what I was focusing on. And it turns out that we are covered in a cloud of microbes, and those microbes actually do us good much of the time, rather than killing us. And so, we've known about this for some period of time. People have used microscopes to look at the microbes that cover us, I know you're not paying attention to me, but ...

2:49 (Laughter)

2:52 The microbes that cover us. And if you look at them in the microscope, you can see that we actually have 10 times as many cells of microbes on us as we have human cells. There's more mass in the microbes than the mass of our brain.

3:08 We are literally a teeming ecosystem of microorganisms. And unfortunately, if you want to learn about the microorganisms, just looking at them in a microscope is not sufficient. And so we just heard about the DNA sequencing. It turns out that one of the best ways to look at microbes and to understand them is to look at their DNA. And that's what I've been doing for 20 years, using DNA sequencing, collecting samples from various places, including the human body, reading the DNA sequence and then using that DNA sequencing to tell us about the microbes that are in a particular place.

3:41 And what's amazing, when you use this technology, for example, looking at humans, we're not just covered in a sea of microbes. There are thousands upon thousands of different kinds of microbes on us. We have millions of genes of microbes in our human microbiome covering us. And so this microbial diversity differs between people, and what people have been thinking about in the last 10, maybe 15 years is, maybe these microbes, this microbial cloud in and on us, and the variation between us, may be responsible for some of the health and illness differences between us.

4:19 And that comes back to the diabetes story I was telling you. It turns out that people now think that one of the triggers for type 1 diabetes is not fighting a pathogen, but is in fact trying to -- miscommunicating with the microbes that live in and on you. And somehow maybe the microbial community that's in and on me got off, and then this triggered some sort of immune response and led to me killing the cells that make insulin in my body.

4:45 And so what I want to tell you about for a few minutes is, what people have learned using DNA sequencing techniques in particular, to study the microbial cloud that lives in and on us. And I want to tell you a story about a personal project. My first personal experience with studying the microbes on the human body actually came from a talk that I gave, right around the corner from here at Georgetown.

5:09 I gave a talk, and a family friend who happened to be the Dean of Georgetown Medical School was at the talk, and came up to me afterwards saying, they were doing a study of ileal transplants in people. And they wanted to look at the microbes after the transplants.

5:24 And so I started a collaboration with this person, Michael Zasloff and Thomas Fishbein, to look at the microbes that colonized these ilea after they were transplanted into a recipient. And I can tell you all the details about the microbial study that we did there, but the reason I want to tell you this story is something really striking that they did at the beginning of this project. They take the donor ileum, which is filled with microbes from a donor and they have a recipient who might have a problem with their microbial community, say Crohn's disease, and they sterilized the donor ileum. Cleaned out all the microbes, and then put it in the recipient. They did this because this was common practice in medicine, even though it was obvious that this was not a good idea.

6:10 And fortunately, in the course of this project, the transplant surgeons and the other people decided, forget common practice. We have to switch. So they actually switched to leaving some of the microbial community in the ileum. They leave the microbes with the donor, and theoretically that might help the people who are receiving this ileal transplant.

6:33 And so, people -- this is a study that I did now. In the last few years there's been a great expansion in using DNA technology to study the microbes in and on people. There's something called the Human Microbiome Project that's going on in the United States, and MetaHIT going on in Europe, and a lot of other projects.

6:49 And when people have done a variety of studies, they have learned things such as, when a baby is born, during vaginal delivery you get colonized by the microbes from your mother. There are risk factors associated with cesarean sections, some of those risk factors may be due to mis-colonization when you carve a baby out of its mother rather than being delivered through the birth canal. And a variety of other studies have shown that the microbial community that lives in and on us helps in development of the immune system, helps in fighting off pathogens, helps in our metabolism, and determining our metabolic rate, probably determines our odor, and may even shape our behavior in a variety of ways.

7:33 And so, these studies have documented or suggested out of a variety of important functions for the microbial community, this cloud, the non-pathogens that live in and on us. And one area that I think is very interesting, which many of you may have now that we've thrown microbes into the crowd, is something that I would call "germophobia." So people are really into cleanliness, right? We have antibiotics in our kitchen counters, people are washing every part of them all of the time, we pump antibiotics into our food, into our communities, we take antibiotics excessively.

8:11 And killing pathogens is a good thing if you're sick, but we should understand that when we pump chemicals and antibiotics into our world, that we're also killing the cloud of microbes that live in and on us. And excessive use of antibiotics, in particular in children, has been shown to be associated with, again, risk factors for obesity, for autoimmune diseases, for a variety of problems that are probably due to disruption of the microbial community.

8:39 So the microbial community can go wrong whether we want it to or not, or we can kill it with antibiotics, but what can we do to restore it? I'm sure many people here have heard about probiotics. Probiotics are one thing that you can try and do to restore the microbial community that is in and on you. And they definitely have been shown to be effective in some cases. There's a project going on at UC Davis where people are using probiotics to try and treat, prevent, necrotizing enterocolitis in premature infants. Premature infants have real problems with their microbial community. And it may be that probiotics can help prevent the development of this horrible necrotizing enterocolitis in these premature infants.

9:19 But probiotics are sort of a very, very simple solution. Most of the pills that you can take or the yogurts that you can eat have one or two species in them, maybe five species in them, and the human community is thousands upon thousands of species. So what can we do to restore our microbial community when we have thousands and thousands of species on us?

9:42 Well, one thing that animals seem to do is, they eat poo -- coprophagia. And it turns out that many veterinarians, old school veterinarians in particular, have been doing something called "poo tea," not booty, but poo tea, to treat colic and other ailments in horses and cows and things like that, where you make tea from the poo from a healthy individual animal and you feed it to a sick animal. Although, unless you have a fistulated cow with a big hole in its side, and you can put your hand into its rumen, it's hard to imagine that the delivery of microbes directly into the mouth and through the entire top of the digestive tract is the best delivery system, so you may have heard in people they are now doing fecal transplants, where rather than delivering a couple of probiotic microbes through the mouth, they are delivering a community of probiotics, a community of microbes from a healthy donor, through the other end.

10:51 And this has turned out to be very effective in fighting certain intransigent infectious diseases like Clostridium difficile infections that can stay with people for years and years and years. Transplants of the feces, of the microbes from the feces, from a healthy donor has actually been shown to cure systemic C. dif infections in some people.

11:13 Now what these transplants, these fecal transplants, or the poo tea suggest to me, and many other people have come up with this same idea, is that the microbial community in and on us, it's an organ. We should view it as a functioning organ, part of ourselves. We should treat it carefully and with respect, and we do not want to mess with it, say by C-sections or by antibiotics or excessive cleanliness, without some real good justification.

11:50 And what the DNA sequencing technologies are allowing people to do now is do detailed studies of, say, 100 patients who have Crohn's disease and 100 people who don't have Crohn's disease. Or 100 people who took antibiotics when they were little, and 100 people who did not take antibiotics. And we can now start to compare the community of microbes and their genes and see if there are differences. And eventually we may be able to understand if they're not just correlative differences, but causative. Studies in model systems like mouse and other animals are also helping do this, but people are now using these technologies because they've gotten very cheap, to study the microbes in and on a variety of people.

12:36 So, in wrapping up, what I want to tell you about is, I didn't tell you a part of the story of coming down with diabetes. It turns out that my father was an M.D., actually studied hormones. I told him many times that I was tired, thirsty, not feeling very good. And he shrugged it off, I think he either thought I was just complaining a lot, or it was the typical M.D. "nothing can be wrong with my children." We even went to the International Society of Endocrinology meeting as family in Quebec. And I was getting up every five minutes to pee, and drinking everybody's water at the table, and I think they all thought I was a druggie.

13:21 (Laughter)

13:23 But the reason I'm telling you this is that the medical community, my father as an example, sometimes doesn't see what's right in front of their eyes. The microbial cloud, it is right in front of us. We can't see it most of the time. It's invisible. They're microbes. They're tiny. But we can see them through their DNA, we can see them through the effects that they have on people.

13:46 And what we need now is to start thinking about this microbial community in the context of everything in human medicine. It doesn't mean that it affects every part of us, but it might. What we need is a full field guide to the microbes that live in and on people, so that we can understand what they're doing to our lives. We are them. They are us.

14:11 Thank you.

14:13 (Applause)
설경도 14-03-09 10:21

0:15

먼저 짧은 이야기를 하면서 시작하겠습니다. 저는 이 동네에서 자랐습니다. 제가 15살이었을 때, 저는 건장하고 젊은 운동선수가 되는 것을 바랐었습니다. 제가 계속 지속되는 갈증과 함께 원래 기근의 희생자였다는 것을 깨닫기까지 네 달이 넘게 천천히 쇠약해져가는 몸을 이끌고 운동을 계속 하였습니다. 제가 제 몸을 혹사시켰던 거죠. 이런 것이 제가 처음으로 배낭여행을 할 때 정점에 이르렀습니다. 그 때 웨스트 버지니아 주에 있는 올드 래그 산에 갔었는데 물 속에 머리를 넣고 개처럼 많이 마셨어요.

0:48

그 날 밤, 저는 응급실로 실려갔고 1 유형의 당뇨성 캐토애시도시스 라고 진단받았습니다. 인슐린과 다른 현대 의학의 기적덕분에 저는 회복할 수 있었고 몸무게는 원상태 이상으로 돌아왔습니다.

1:08

그 일 이후로 뭔가가 저를 괴롭혔습니다. 그 당시 저는 무엇이 당뇨병을 일으켰는지에 대해 생각하게 되었습니다. 당뇨병은 신체 내부에서 스스로 병균들과 싸우는 자기면역 질병입니다. 그 때 사람들은 어떻게 됐던 간에 병균에 노출된 것이 내 면역체계로 하여금 병균과 싸우도록 유도했다고 생각을 하죠. 그 다음 면역체계가 인슐린을 만드는 세포를 죽이고요. 제가 오랫동안 그렇게 생각해왔었고, 실제로 의료인들이 거기에 초점을 맞춰왔던 것입니다. 미생물은 해로운 거라고요. 지금 저는 제 조수가 필요한데 여러분 중에는 그녀를 알아볼 사람이 있을겁니다.

1:47

아무튼 저는 어제 사과하고 몇몇 회의들에 불참하면서 국내과학협회 건물에 갔습니다. 그 곳에서 거대한 미생물 장남감을 팔고 있더라고요 여기 갑니다! 이걸 잡으신 분은 육식성 미생물을 잡으신 겁니다. 여기서 제 야구실력을 보여드리겠습니다.

2:13

(웃음)

2:16

불행하지만 놀랍지는 않게도, 국내 과학 학회에서 파는 대부분의 미생물 장난감들은 병균들입니다. 모두들 우리를 죽이는 미생물들에 초점을 맞추고 있고, 그것이 제가 중점적으로 연구하던 것입니다. 그 연구는 우리가 미생물들한테 구름처럼 둘러쌓여 있고, 그 미생물들이 대부분 우리에게 해를 끼치는 것보다 좋은 영향을 더 많이 끼친다는 것이 밝혀졌습니다. 이 사실이 밝혀진지 좀 됐습니다. 사람들은 우리 주위를 둘러쌓고 있는 미생물들을 보기 위해 현미경을 사용해 왔습니다. 여러분들이 저한테 지금 집중하지 않다는 거 잘 알고 있지만

2:49

(웃음)

2:52

우리 주위에 있는 미생물들을 현미경으로 보면 인간의 세포보다 열 배 더 많은 미생물들의 세포들을 보실 수 있습니다. 우리의 뇌세포덩어리보다 더 많은 미생물들의 덩어리가 있습니다.

3:08

우리는 말 그대로 미생물은 바글거리는 생태계입니다. 그리고 안됐지만, 만약 미생물에 대해 배우고 싶다면, 현미경으로 미생물을 보는 것만으로는 충분하지 않습니다. DNA 염기 서열결정법에 대해 들어보셨을텐데 그 것이 미생물을 보는데 가장 좋은 방법들 중 하나이고 미생물을 이해하기 위해서는 그들의 DNA를 봐야합니다. 그 것이 제가 20년동안 하고 있는 것입니다. DNA 염기서열 결정법을 사용하고, 인간의 신체를 포함해서 다양한 곳에서 샘플을 수집하고, DNA 염기순서를 읽어냅니다. 특정한 곳에 있는 미생물을 설명하기 위해 DNA 염기서열 결정법을 사용하죠.

3:41

놀라운 것은 말이죠, 이런 기술들을 사용할 때, 예를 들어서, 사람들의 몸을 들여다볼때, 우리는 그저 미생물들로 둘러쌓여 있는 정도가 아닙니다. 우리 주위에는 수천 종류의 다른 미생물들이 우리 주위에 있습니다. 우리를 뒤덮고 있는 미생물 군집에는 수백만 가지의 유전자들이 있습니다. 그로 인해 사람들마다 미생물들의 다양성이 다르고 사람들은 최근 10년 혹은 15년동안 이 미생물들에 대해 생각해온 것은 아마 이 미생물들이 우리 몸 내부와 곁에 구름처럼 둘러싸있고 그 미생물들이 사람마다 다르며 그 차이가 우리들의 건강과 질환에 부분적으로 영향을 끼친다는 것입니다.

4:19

제가 말했던 당뇨병이야기로 돌아가자면, 사람들은 1유형의 당뇨병을 일으키는 것이 병균과 싸우는 것이 아니라 실은 우리 몸 내부와 곁에 있는 미생물들과의 소통문제입니다. 어떻게든 몸 속에 있거나 곁에 있는 미생물 집단이 떨어져 나가고, 그 것이 면역체계 반응을 유발시켜 신체에서 인슐린을 만드는 세포를 죽게 하는 겁니다.

4:45

제가 몇 분 동안 말하고 싶은 것은, 사람들이 우리 몸 속과 안에 사는 미생물의 구름을 연구하기 위해 DNA 염기서열결정법을 사용하며 무엇을 배웠는가 입니다. 제 개인적 프로젝트에 대해서 얘기하고 싶습니다. 인간 신체에 있는 미생물에 관한 첫번째 연구 경험은 바로 여기 조지타운대학교쪽에서 했던 연설에서부터 시작됐습니다.

5:09

저는 연설을 했고, 조지타운대학교 의대학장이 그 연설에 있었습니다. 연설이 끝나고 학장이 제게로 와서, 그들은 회장(回腸) 이식을 연구한다고 했습니다. 그리고 그들은 이식수술이 끝나고 나서 미생물들을 보고 싶다고 했습니다.

5:24

그래서 저는 마이클 재슬로프, 토마스 피쉬바인과 함께 이식수술을 한 후에 회장에 대량서식하는 미생물들을 보기위해 공동작업을 시작했습니다. 제가 그들과 함께했던 미생물 연구에 대해 세세히 얘기할 수 있지만 제가 이 얘기를 하는 이유는 이 프로젝트의 초기에 그들이 했던 것이 매우 눈에 띄는 것이기 때문입니다. 그들은 기증자의 미생물이 가득한 회장을 가지고 있고 미생물 집단때문에 크론병과 같은 문제가 생길 수 있는 기증 받을 사람도 정해져있습니다. 그리고 그들은 기증받은 회장을 소독했습니다. 모든 미생물들을 없애고 회장을 이식 받을 사람한테 이식했습니다. 분명히 이것은 좋은 생각은 아니라는 것은 알았지만 그들은 그 방법이 의학계에서 흔하게 시행되는 관습이기 때문에 그 방법대로 했습니다.

6:10

운이 좋게도, 이 프로젝트의 과정에서 이식수술을 하는 의사와 다른 사람들은 흔한 방법을 포기하고, 다른 방법으로 바꾸기로 결정내렸습니다. 그래서 결국 그들은 회장에 있는 미생물 군집을 남겨놓는 걸로 계획을 바꿨습니다. 기증하는 사람의 미생물을 남겨 놓았고, 이론적으로 그 방법이 회장을 이식받을 사람한테 도움이 될거라고 판단했죠

6:33

여러분들, 이것이 지금 제가 했던 연구입니다. 최근 몇 년 동안, 사람 몸 속과 위에 있는 미생물들을 연구하기 위해 DNA 기술을 사용하는 것이 급격히 증가했습니다. 미국에서는 '인간 미생물 군집 프로젝트' 를 시행하고 있고, 유럽에서는 메타히트가 진행되고 그 밖에도 수 많은 다른 프로젝트들이 있습니다,

6:49

사람들이 다양한 연구를 완료할 때면, 그들은 여러가지 사실을 알아낼 것입니다. 아기가 태어날때, 질분만이 이루어지는 동안 엄마의 미생물로 인해 아기한테도 미생물의 군집이 이루어지는 것이 그 예시 중 하나죠. 제왕절개 과정에서 위험요소가 있는데요, 그 위험요소들 중 일부는 미생물들이 잘못된 방식으로 군집하는 것인데 산도를 통해 아기가 출산되는 것보다 엄마의 뱃 속에서 아이를 꺼낼 경우 더 많이 발생합니다. 다양한 다른 연구들은 우리 몸 속과 주위에 서식하는 미생물 집단이 면역 체계 발달과 병균과 싸우는 것, 그리고 우리의 신진대사를 도와준다는 것을 밝혀냈습니다, 또한 미생물 집단은 우리의 신진대사 속도를 결정하고, 사람 체취도 정하고, 심지어는 우리의 태도를 다양한 방식으로 결정한다는 것도 밝혀냈지요.

7:33

그렇게 해서 이 연구들은 우리를 둘러싸고 있는 비병원균체 미생물 집단들은 다양한 중요한 기능을 한다는 것을 뒷받침했습니다. 제가 흥미롭게 여기는 분야이기도하고 아마 여러분 중 많은 분들이 지금 그런 증세를 가지고 있을 수도 있는데 그 분야는 '병균 공포증'입니다. 사람들은 청결함에 매우 신경을 쓰죠, 그렇지 않습니까? 부엌 조리대에서 항생제를 사용하고, 항상 부엌조리대의 모든 부분을 닦고, 사회 속에서도, 음식에도 항생제를 마구 넣습니다. 우리들은 항생제를 과도하게 사용합니다.

8:11

아프다면, 병균을 죽이는 것은 옳은 일이지만, 우리는 화학물질과 항생제를 마구 사용하면서 우리 몸 속과 곁에 있는 미생물들을 죽이는 것입니다. 그리고 과도한 양의 항생제를 사용하는 것은, 특히 어린이들의 비만, 자기 면역 질병 을 포함해 다양한 문제들과 관련된 위험 요소들과 관련있습니다. 아마도 그 것들은 미생물 집단을 파괴했기 때문에 일어난 것일 겁니다.

8:39

우리들이 원하든 아니든, 미생물 집단은 잘못 될 수 있고, 그렇게 되면 우리는 항생제를 이용하여 미생물을 죽일 수 있습니다. 하지만 미생물을 회복시키기 위해 무엇을 할 수 있을까요? 많은 사람들이 생균제에 대해 들어보셨을 겁니다. 생균제는 당신들의 몸 속이나 곁에 있는 미생물 집단을 복구하기 위해 시도할 수 있는 한 가지 방법입니다. 그들은 분명 몇몇 경우에 효과적임을 보여주었습니다. 현재 캘리포니아 주립대학교 Davis 캠퍼스에서는 조산아들의 신생아괴사성장염을 치료하고 예방하기 위해 생균제를 사용하는 프로젝트를 진행하고 있습니다. 미생물 집단은 조산아에게 심각한 문제를 초래하기도 합니다. 생균제는 조산아의 끔찍한 신생아괴사성장염의 악화를 방지할 수 있을 것 입니다.

9:19

하지만 생균제는 굉장히 단순한 해결책입니다. 여러분들이 복용하는 알약이나 먹는 요거트는 그 안에 하나나 두 종류, 혹은 다섯 종류의 미생물들이 있고, 사람들 사이에서는 수천 종류가 있습니다. 우리들 사이에 수 천 종류의 미생물이 있을때 미생물 집단을 회복시키기 위해 우리는 무엇을 할 수 있을까요?

9:42

동물들이 하는 한 방법은 변을 먹는 것 입니다 - 식분증이죠. 그리고 많은 수의사들이, 특히 나이가 많은 수의사들이 "변으로 만든 차"라고 불리는 치료법을 씁니다. 전리품이 아니고 ,"변으로 만든 차"는 말과 소같은 짐승의 산통이나 다른 질환을 치료하기 위해 쓰는데 건강한 동물의 변으로 차를 만들어 아픈 동물에게 먹이는 방식입니다. 만약 당신이 큰 구멍이 있는 소 속을 비우고 소의 제1반추위에 손을 집어넣지 않는 한, 미생물을 직접 입으로 넣어서 소화계 윗부부을 전부 거치도록 전달하는 것이 가장 좋은 방법이라고 상상하기 어려우실 겁니다. 그래서 여러분들은 아마 그들이 입을 통해 생균 미생물을 전달하는 것보다 입의 반대쪽으로 건강한 기증자의 미생물 집단을 통해 생균 집단체를 전달하는 것을 연구하는 중이라고 들어보신 적이 있으실 것입니다.

10:51

그리고 이 연구가 클로스트리듐 디피실리균에 의한 감염같이 사람 내부에 여러 해 걸쳐서 있을 수 있는 골치아픈 전염성질병과 싸우는데 굉장히 효율적인 것으로 드러났습니다. 건강한 기증자의 배설물을 이식하는 것은 몇몇 전체적으로 클로스트리듐 디피실리균이 퍼져있는 환자를 치료하는 것이 밝혀졌습니다.

11:13

현재 이런 배설물을 이식하는 것은 저와 많은 사람들에게 동일한 아이디어를 제공했는데 그 아이디어는 우리 몸 속과 곁에 서식하는 미생물이 하나의 기관이라는 겁니다. 우리는 이 것을 하나의 기관으로, 우리의 일부분이라고 봐야합니다. 우리는 이 것을 조심스럽게 치료해야하고, 타당한 이유가 없는 한 클로스트리듐 디피실리균과 항생제, 지나친 청결함으로 미생물들을 망가뜨리기를 원치 않습니다..

11:50

또한 현재 DNA 염기서열결정법 기술은 사람들로 하여금 저 자세하게 연구할 수 있게 합니다. 예를 들어, 100명의 크론병환자와 크론병에 걸리지 않은 100명이 있다고 합시다. 혹은 어릴 때, 항생제를 투여받은 100명과 항생제를 투여받지 않은 100명이 있다고도 가정할 수 있죠. 그 다음 우리는 차이가 있는 지 알아보기 위해 그 두 집단의 미생물과 유전자를 비교하기 시작합니다. 결국 우리는 그 사이에 상관관계가 있지 않으면, 인과관계에 있다는 것을 이해할 수 있을 것입니다. 실험용 쥐나 다른 동물을 사용하는 연구에서도 이런 실험을 하도록 도와주는데, 사람들은 이 기술이 사람들한테 있는 미생물을 연구하는데 비용이 매우 적게 들기 때문에 이 기술을 사용합니다.

12:36

정리하자면, 제가 여러분들에게 말하고 싶은 것은 당뇨병 얘기할때 말하지 않았던 부분인데요. 제 아버지는 호르몬을 연구하는 의학박사십니다. 저는 자주 아버지께 제가 피곤하고, 목마르고, 컨디션이 좋지 않다고 말씀드렸었습니다. 그러면 아버지는 대수롭지 않게 생각하셨어요. 제가 보기엔 아버지는 그저 제가 불만을 많이 하거나, 전형적인 의학박사처럼 " 내 자식이 아플리가 없지"라고 생각하셨겠죠. 우리는 퀘벡에서 모이는 국제 내분비학 모임에 간 적이 있었습니다. 저는 소변을 보기 위해 5분마다 일어났고, 테이블에 있는 모든 사람의 물을 마셨습니다. 아마 그들은 저를 마약중독자라고 생각했을 겁니다.

13:21

(웃음)

13:23

하지만 제가 이 것을 말하는 것은 의학계에서는, 제 아버지도 그 중에 한 분이시죠, 가끔 그들의 바로 눈 앞에 있는 것을 보지 못합니다. 미생물 구름이 바로 우리 눈 앞에 있어요. 우리는 미생물들을 볼 수없죠. 투명하니까요. 그들은 미생물들입니다. 매우 작습니다. 하지만 우리는 미생물들은 그들의 DNA를 통해 볼수 있고, 우리는 미생물들이 사람들에게 끼치는 영향을 통해 미생물들을 볼 수 있습니다.

13:46

지금 우리가 필요한 것은 미생물을 의학과 맥락지어 생각하기 시작하는 것입니다. 이것이 우리의 모든 일상에 영향을 끼친다는 의미는 아니지만 그럴지도 모릅니다. 우리가 필요한 것은 사람들 몸 속이나 위에 사는 미생물들의 도감이고 , 도감으로 우리들이 미생물들이 우리한테 무엇을 하는지 이해할 수 있게해야 합니다. 우리가 그들입니다. 그들은 우리입니다.

14:11

고맙습니다.

14:13

(박수)

서울 서초구 잠원동 76-5 금정빌딩 301호. TEL:070-8876-6988. MAIL:intertrot@gmail.com
Copyright ⓒ vegedoctor. All rights reserved