NEXT

NEXT

작성일 : 14-03-29 14:55
Barry Schuler의 유전체학 소개
 글쓴이 : 설경도
작성일 : 14-03-29 14:55 조회 : 3,616  
   http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schuler_genomics_101?language=ko [1224]
   http://www.vegedoctor.kr/gnuboard/bbs/board.php?bo_table=TED&wr_id=68&… [1690]

유전체학이란 무언가? 이것이 우리 인생에 어떤 영향을 미치게 될까? 유전체학의 큰 변화에 대한 이 흥미로운 강연에서, Barry Schuler는 이 변화로 우리는 적어도 더 건강한 삶, 더 맛있는 음식을 기대할 수 있을 것이라고 말한다. 그는 더 맛있는 와인을 만들기 위해서는 피노누아 포도에 대한 이해부터 시작되어야 한다고 얘기한다.
게시글을 twitter로 보내기 게시글을 facebook으로 보내기 게시글을 Me2Day로 보내기 게시글을 요즘으로 보내기

설경도 14-03-29 15:05

0:15
What's happening in genomics, and how this revolution is about to change everything we know about the world, life, ourselves, and how we think about them.

0:29
If you saw 2001: A Space Odyssey, and you heard the boom, boom, boom, boom, and you saw the monolith, you know, that was Arthur C. Clarke's representation that we were at a seminal moment in the evolution of our species. In this case, it was picking up bones and creating a tool, using it as a tool, which meant that apes just, sort of, running around and eating and doing each other figured out they can make things if they used a tool. And that moved us to the next level.

1:03
And, you know, we in the last 30 years in particular have seen this acceleration in knowledge and technology, and technology has bred more knowledge and given us tools. And we've seen many seminal moments. We've seen the creation of small computers in the '70s and early '80s, and who would have thought back then that every single person would not have just one computer but probably 20, in your home, and in not just your P.C. but in every device -- in your washing machine, your cell phone. You're walking around; your car has 12 microprocessors. Then we go along and create the Internet and connect the world together; we flatten the world.

1:43
We've seen so much change, and we've given ourselves these tools now -- these high-powered tools -- that are allowing us to turn the lens inward into something that is common to all of us, and that is a genome.

1:59
How's your genome today? Have you thought about it lately? Heard about it, at least? You probably hear about genomes these days.

2:09
I thought I'd take a moment to tell you what a genome is. It's, sort of, like if you ask people, Well, what is a megabyte or megabit? And what is broadband? People never want to say, I really don't understand. So, I will tell you right off of the bat. You've heard of DNA; you probably studied a little bit in biology. A genome is really a description for all of the DNA that is in a living organism. And one thing that is common to all of life is DNA. It doesn't matter whether you're a yeast; it doesn't matter whether you're a mouse; doesn't matter whether you're a fly; we all have DNA. The DNA is organized in words, call them: genes and chromosomes.

2:53
And when Watson and Crick in the '50s first decoded this beautiful double helix that we know as the DNA molecule -- very long, complicated molecule -- we then started on this journey to understand that inside of that DNA is a language that determines the characteristics, our traits, what we inherit, what diseases we may get. We've also along the way discovered that this is a very old molecule, that all of the DNA in your body has been around forever, since the beginning of us, of us as creatures. There is a historical archive.

3:36
Living in your genome is the history of our species, and you as an individual human being, where you're from, going back thousands and thousands and thousands of years, and that's now starting to be understood. But also, the genome is really the instruction manual. It is the program. It is the code of life. It is what makes you function; it is what makes every organism function. DNA is a very elegant molecule. It's long and it's complicated. Really all you have to know about it is that there's four letters: A, T, C, G; they represent the name of a chemical. And with these four letters, you can create a language: a language that can describe anything, and very complicated things. You know, they are generally put together in pairs, creating a word or what we call base pairs. And you would, you know, when you think about it, four letters, or the representation of four things, makes us work.

4:46
And that may not sound very intuitive, but let me flip over to something else you know about, and that's computers. Look at this screen here and, you know, you see pictures and you see words, but really all there are are ones and zeros. The language of technology is binary; you've probably heard that at some point in time. Everything that happens in digital is converted, or a representation, of a one and a zero. So, when you're listening to iTunes and your favorite music, that's really just a bunch of ones and zeros playing very quickly. When you're seeing these pictures, it's all ones and zeros, and when you're talking on your telephone, your cell phone, and it's going over the network, your voice is all being turned into ones and zeros and magically whizzed around. And look at all the complex things and wonderful things we've been able to create with just a one and a zero.

5:40
Well, now you ramp that up to four, and you have a lot of complexity, a lot of ways to describe mechanisms. So, let's talk about what that means. So, if you look at a human genome, they consist of 3.2 billion of these base pairs. That's a lot. And they mix up in all different fashions, and that makes you a human being. If you convert that to binary, just to give you a little bit of sizing, we're actually smaller than the program Microsoft Office. It's not really all that much data. I will also tell you we're at least as buggy. (Laughter)

6:24
This here is a bug in my genome that I have struggled with for a long, long time. When you get sick, it is a bug in your genome. In fact, many, many diseases we have struggled with for a long time, like cancer, we haven't been able to cure because we just don't understand how it works at the genomic level. We are starting to understand that.

6:52
So, up to this point we tried to fix it by using what I call shit-against-the-wall pharmacology, which means, well, let's just throw chemicals at it, and maybe it's going to make it work. But if you really understand why does a cell go from normal cell to cancer? What is the code? What are the exact instructions that are making it do that? then you can go about the process of trying to fix it and figure it out. So, for your next dinner over a great bottle of wine, here's a few factoids for you.

7:25
We actually have about 24,000 genes that do things. We have about a hundred, 120,000 others that don't appear to function every day, but represent this archival history of how we used to work as a species going back tens of thousands of years. You might also be interested in knowing that a mouse has about the same amount of genes.

7:48
They recently sequenced Pinot Noir, and it also has about 30,000 genes, so the number of genes you have may not necessarily represent the complexity or the evolutionary order of any particular species. Now, look around: just look next to your neighbor, look forward, look backward. We all look pretty different. A lot of very handsome and pretty people here, skinny, chubby, different races, cultures. We are all 99.9% genetically equal. It is one one-hundredth of one percent of genetic material that makes the difference between any one of us. That's a tiny amount of material, but the way that ultimately expresses itself is what makes changes in humans and in all species.

8:39
So, we are now able to read genomes. The first human genome took 10 years, three billion dollars. It was done by Dr. Craig Venter. And then James Watson's -- one of the co-founders of DNA -- genome was done for two million dollars, and in just two months. And if you think about the computer industry and how we've gone from big computers to little ones and how they get more powerful and faster all the time, the same thing is happening with gene sequencing now: we are on the cusp of being able to sequence human genomes for about 5,000 dollars in about an hour or a half-hour; you will see that happen in the next five years.

9:20
And what that means is, you are going to walk around with your own personal genome on a smart card. It will be here. And when you buy medicine, you won't be buying a drug that's used for everybody. You will give your genome to the pharmacist, and your drug will be made for you and it will work much better than the ones that were -- you won't have side effects. All those side effects, you know, oily residue and, you know, whatever they say in those commercials: forget about that. They're going to make all that stuff go away.

9:51
What does a genome look like? Well, there it is. It is a long, long series of these base pairs. If you saw the genome for a mouse or for a human it would look no different than this, but what scientists are doing now is they're understanding what these do and what they mean. Because what Nature is doing is double-clicking all the time. In other words, the first couple of sentences here, assuming this is a grape plant: make a root, make a branch, create a blossom. In a human being, down in here it could be: make blood cells, start cancer. For me it may be: every calorie you consume, you conserve, because I come from a very cold climate. For my wife: eat three times as much and you never put on any weight. It's all hidden in this code, and it's starting to be understood at breakneck pace.

10:53
So, what can we do with genomes now that we can read them, now that we're starting to have the book of life? Well, there's many things. Some are exciting. Some people will find very scary. I will tell you a couple of things that will probably make you want to projectile puke on me, but that's okay. So, you know, we now can learn the history of organisms.

11:13
You can do a very simple test: scrape your cheek; send it off. You can find out where your relatives come from; you can do your genealogy going back thousands of years. We can understand functionality. This is really important. We can understand, for example, why we create plaque in our arteries, what creates the starchiness inside of a grain, why does yeast metabolize sugar and produce carbon dioxide. We can also look at, at a grander scale, what creates problems, what creates disease, and how we may be able to fix them. Because we can understand this, we can fix them, make better organisms.

11:54
Most importantly, what we're learning is that Nature has provided us a spectacular toolbox. The toolbox exists. An architect far better and smarter than us has given us that toolbox, and we now have the ability to use it. We are now not just reading genomes; we are writing them.

12:15
This company, Synthetic Genomics, I'm involved with, created the first full synthetic genome for a little bug, a very primitive creature called Mycoplasma genitalium. If you have a UTI, you've probably -- or ever had a UTI -- you've come in contact with this little bug. Very simple -- only has about 246 genes -- but we were able to completely synthesize that genome. Now, you have the genome and you say to yourself, So, if I plug this synthetic genome -- if I pull the old one out and plug it in -- does it just boot up and live? Well, guess what. It does.

12:55
Not only does it do that; if you took the genome -- that synthetic genome -- and you plugged it into a different critter, like yeast, you now turn that yeast into Mycoplasma. It's, sort of, like booting up a PC with a Mac O.S. software. Well, actually, you could do it the other way. So, you know, by being able to write a genome and plug it into an organism, the software, if you will, changes the hardware. And this is extremely profound.

13:29
So, last year the French and Italians announced they got together and they went ahead and they sequenced Pinot Noir. The genomic sequence now exists for the entire Pinot Noir organism, and they identified, once again, about 29,000 genes. They have discovered pathways that create flavors, although it's very important to understand that those compounds that it's cranking out have to match a receptor in our genome, in our tongue, for us to understand and interpret those flavors.

14:00
They've also discovered that there's a heck of a lot of activity going on producing aroma as well. They've identified areas of vulnerability to disease. They now are understanding, and the work is going on, exactly how this plant works, and we have the capability to know, to read that entire code and understand how it ticks. So, then what do you do? Knowing that we can read it, knowing that we can write it, change it, maybe write its genome from scratch. So, what do you do? Well, one thing you could do is what some people might call Franken-Noir. (Laughter)

14:38
We can build a better vine. By the way, just so you know: you get stressed out about genetically modified organisms; there is not one single vine in this valley or anywhere that is not genetically modified. They're not grown from seeds; they're grafted into root stock; they would not exist in nature on their own.

14:56
So, don't worry about, don't stress about that stuff. We've been doing this forever. So, we could, you know, focus on disease resistance; we can go for higher yields without necessarily having dramatic farming techniques to do it, or costs. We could conceivably expand the climate window: we could make Pinot Noir grow maybe in Long Island, God forbid. (Laughter)

15:22
We could produce better flavors and aromas. You want a little more raspberry, a little more chocolate here or there? All of these things could conceivably be done, and I will tell you I'd pretty much bet that it will be done. But there's an ecosystem here. In other words, we're not, sort of, unique little organisms running around; we are part of a big ecosystem.

15:43
In fact -- I'm sorry to inform you -- that inside of your digestive tract is about 10 pounds of microbes which you're circulating through your body quite a bit. Our ocean's teaming with microbes; in fact, when Craig Venter went and sequenced the microbes in the ocean, in the first three months tripled the known species on the planet by discovering all-new microbes in the first 20 feet of water. We now understand that those microbes have more impact on our climate and regulating CO2 and oxygen than plants do, which we always thought oxygenate the atmosphere.

16:18
We find microbial life in every part of the planet: in ice, in coal, in rocks, in volcanic vents; it's an amazing thing. But we've also discovered, when it comes to plants, in plants, as much as we understand and are starting to understand their genomes, it is the ecosystem around them, it is the microbes that live in their root systems, that have just as much impact on the character of those plants as the metabolic pathways of the plants themselves.

16:53
If you take a closer look at a root system, you will find there are many, many, many diverse microbial colonies. This is not big news to viticulturists; they have been, you know, concerned with water and fertilization. And, again, this is, sort of, my notion of shit-against-the-wall pharmacology: you know certain fertilizers make the plant more healthy so you put more in. You don't necessarily know with granularity exactly what organisms are providing what flavors and what characteristics. We can start to figure that out. We all talk about terroir; we worship terroir; we say, Wow, is my terroir great! It's so special. I've got this piece of land and it creates terroir like you wouldn't believe.

17:39
Well, you know, we really, we argue and debate about it -- we say it's climate, it's soil, it's this. Well, guess what? We can figure out what the heck terroir is. It's in there, waiting to be sequenced. There are thousands of microbes there. They're easy to sequence: unlike a human, they, you know, have a thousand, two thousand genes; we can figure out what they are.

18:00
All we have to do is go around and sample, dig into the ground, find those bugs, sequence them, correlate them to the kinds of characteristics we like and don't like -- that's just a big database -- and then fertilize. And then we understand what is terroir. So, some people will say, Oh, my God, are we playing God? Are we now, if we engineer organisms, are we playing God? And, you know, people would always ask James Watson -- he's not always the most politically correct guy ... (Laughter) ... and they would say, "Are, you know, are you playing God?" And he had the best answer I ever heard to this question: "Well, somebody has to." (Laughter)

18:45
I consider myself a very spiritual person, and without, you know, the organized religion part, and I will tell you: I don't believe there's anything unnatural. I don't believe that chemicals are unnatural. I told you I'm going to make some of you puke. It's very simple: we don't invent molecules, compounds. They're here. They're in the universe. We reorganize things, we change them around, but we don't make anything unnatural.

19:14
Now, we can create bad impacts -- we can poison ourselves; we can poison the Earth -- but that's just a natural outcome of a mistake we made. So, what's happening today is, Nature is presenting us with a toolbox, and we find that this toolbox is very extensive. There are microbes out there that actually make gasoline, believe it or not. There are microbes, you know -- go back to yeast. These are chemical factories; the most sophisticated chemical factories are provided by Nature, and we now can use those. There also is a set of rules.

19:47
Nature will not allow you to -- we could engineer a grape plant, but guess what. We can't make the grape plant produce babies. Nature has put a set of rules out there. We can work within the rules; we can't break the rules; we're just learning what the rules are. I just ask the question, if you could cure all disease -- if you could make disease go away, because we understand how it actually works, if we could end hunger by being able to create nutritious, healthy plants that grow in very hard-to-grow environments, if we could create clean and plentiful energy -- we, right in the labs at Synthetic Genomics, have single-celled organisms that are taking carbon dioxide and producing a molecule very similar to gasoline. So, carbon dioxide -- the stuff we want to get rid of -- not sugar, not anything. Carbon dioxide, a little bit of sunlight, you end up with a lipid that is highly refined. We could solve our energy problems; we can reduce CO2,; we could clean up our oceans; we could make better wine. If we could, would we? Well, you know, I think the answer is very simple: working with Nature, working with this tool set that we now understand, is the next step in humankind's evolution.

21:06
And all I can tell you is, stay healthy for 20 years. If you can stay healthy for 20 years, you'll see 150, maybe 300.

21:13
Thank you.
설경도 14-03-29 16:16

0:15
유전체학에서 무슨 일이 일어나고 있는 걸까요? 그리고 이러한 큰 변화가 우리가 기존에 알고 있는 세계, 삶, 우리 자신, 그것들에 대한 우리의 생각을 어떻게 바꾸고 있는걸까요?

0:29
2001:A Space Odyssey 라는 영화를 보았다면 붐, 붐, 붐, 붐, 하는 소리와 함께 거대한 돌기둥을 보았을 것입니다. 그 장면은 Arthur C.Clarke 이 우리가 인간의 진화에 있어 중요한 시기에 있다는 것을 묘사한 것입니다. 여기서는 뼈 조각을 주워 도구를 만들어내고, 그 도구를 사용하며, 즉, 유인원들이 뛰어다니며 먹고, 함께 어울리며 도구를 사용한다면 무언가를 만들어낼 수 있다는 것을 발견한 시기였습니다. 그리고 그 시기가 우리를 한 단계 더 올려 주었습니다.

1:03
특히, 지난 30년간 우리는 지식과 기술의 빠른 변화 뿐만 아니라, 기술이 더 많은 지식과 도구를 양산해 내는 것을 지켜 봐왔습니다. 그리고 우리는 매우 중요한 순간들을 보아왔습니다. 1970년대 부터 1980년대 초에 작은 컴퓨터가 개발된 것을 시작으로 당시에는 생각지도 못했을 일이 일어났습니다. 각 개인이 단순히 한 대의 컴퓨터만 가지고 있는 것이 아니라, 집에 있는 PC, 세탁기, 휴대폰 등 모든 기기들에 컴퓨터가 들어있어서 거의 20대의 컴퓨터를 가지고 있는 이 상황을 당시에 누가 예상 했을까요? 주위를 둘러봅시다. 차에는 12개의 마이크로프로세서가 장착되어 있습니다. 그 이후에 인터넷이 개발되고 세계가 하나로 이어졌습니다. 평평한 세계가 만들어진거죠.

1:43
인류는 엄청난 변화를 보아왔습니다. 인류는 스스로에게 고성능 도구들을 선사했습니다. 그 도구들은 결국 우리의 관심을 우리 속에 있는, 전 인류가 공통적으로 가지고 있는 게놈으로 돌리게 하였죠.

1:59
당신의 게놈은 어떤가요? 최근 게놈에 대해 생각해 본 적 있나요? 들어본적은 있나요? 아마 요즘 게놈에 대해 들어본 적 있을겁니다.

2:09
먼저 게놈이 무엇인지에 대해 이야기하죠. 사람들에게 이런 질문한다고 생각해봅시다 음, 메가바이트 혹은 메가비트가 무엇인가요? 브로드밴드는 무엇인가요? 무슨 말인지 잘 모르겠다고 대답하고 싶은 사람은 없을거에요. 그래서, 제가 지금 바로 설명드릴께요. DNA 에 대해 들어보셨죠? 아마 생물학에서 약간은 공부했었을 꺼라고 생각합니다. 게놈은 생물체에 있는 모든 DNA 의 집합체 입니다. 또한 모든 생명체에서 공통적인 것이 DNA 입니다. 당신이 이스트든, 혹은 당신이 생쥐든, 파리든 상관없이 우리는 모두 DNA 를 가지고 있습니다. 이러한 DNA 는 유전자와 염색체라는 두 녀석으로 이루어져 있습니다.

2:53
1950년대에 Watson 과 Crick 이 길고 복잡한 분자인 DNA의 아름다운 이중나선 구조를 해독했을 때, 우리의 DNA 에 대한 이해가 시작된겁니다. 우리의 성격과 특성, 우리가 무엇을 타고 났고 어떤 질병에 걸릴 수 있는지를 DNA 속 언어가 결정함을 이해하기 시작했습니다. 우리는 또한 이 과정에서 DNA가 매우 오래된 분자라는 것을 발견했습니다. 우리의 몸에 있는 모든 DNA 는 인류의 시작부터 있어왔습니다. DNA에는 역사적인 기록이 보관되어 있습니다.

3:36
당신의 게놈은 인류의 역사이자, 각 개인이 각자 어디서 왔는지, 수천년 전 으로 거슬러 올라가서 우리의 뿌리를 이해할 수 있도록 합니다. 뿐만아니라, 게놈은 일종의 매뉴얼입니다. 게놈은 프로그램이고, 생명에 대한 코드입니다. 당신의 몸이 기능할 수 있게끔 해주죠. 모든 유기체를 기능할 수 있게 합니다. DNA 는 매우 우아한 분자입니다. DNA는 길고, 복잡하지만 사실 DNA를 이해하기 위해선 다음 네 글자만 알면 됩니다. A, T, C, G. 이들은 화학물질의 이름을 대변합니다. 이 네 글자의 조합으로 하나의 언어를 만들어 낼 수 있습니다. 그 언어는, 어떤 복잡한 것이라도 모두 설명할 수 있습니다. 네 글자는 둘씩 짝지어져 단어를 만들어냅니다. 이것이 염기쌍이란 것이지요. 자, 이 네 가지 글자가 우리가 작동할 수 있도록 합니다.

4:46
아마, 바로 이해하기 쉽지 않을 겁니다. 그렇다면 잠시 소재를 바꿔 컴퓨터에 대해 얘기해볼게요. 이 스크린을 보세요, 그림이 있죠? 그리고 단어들이 있네요. 하지만 이것들은 실제로는 0 과 1 만으로 이루어져 있습니다. 기술의 언어는 2진법입니다. 아마, 이것에 대해 들어보셨을 겁니다. 디지털에서 일어나는 모든 일은 0 과 1의 표상입니다. 즉, iTunes로 좋아하는 음악을 들을때, 그것들은 단지 0 과 1 의 조합이 매우 빠르게 재생되고 있는 것입니다. 이 그림들을 보세요, 이것들은 모두 0 과 1 입니다. 또한, 집전화나 휴대폰으로 이야기할 때 그 이야기들이 회로망을 거쳐갈 때에 당신의 목소리가 0 과 1 로 바뀌어 마법처럼 순식간에 이동하게 되는 것입니다. 자 보세요, 우리가 0 과 1 로 만들어낸 이 모든 신기하고 복잡한 것들을 말입니다.

5:40
자 이제, 그 둘을 네 개로 늘려 보면, 엄청 복잡하고도 다양한 방법으로 설명해야 하는 메커니즘이 생깁니다. 어떤 의미인지 살펴봅시다. 사람의 게놈은 3.2억개의 염기쌍으로 구성되어 있습니다. 엄청 많죠. 염기쌍들은 각기 다른 방법으로 섞이게 되고, 그것이 사람을 이루게 되는 겁니다. 그 구성을 2진수로 계산해서 크기로 비교해보면, 우리는 사실 Microsoft Office 프로그램보다 작답니다. 그리 많은 양의 데이터가 아니죠. 또 한 가지 말씀드리면, 우리는 모두 벌레투성이입니다. (웃음)

6:24
여기 이것이 제 게놈에 있는 벌레입니다. 꽤 오랜시간 저를 괴롭혀왔던 벌레죠. 만약에 당신이 아프면, 당신 게놈에 있는 벌레문제입니다. 사실, 꽤 오랜기간 동안 인간이 가지고 있는 상당수의 질병이 아직 치료방법이 없습니다. 암 같은 질병말이지요. 이는 유전체 수준에서 질병이 어떻게 작용하는지 아직 모르기 때문입니다. 이제 연구가 시작되고 있습니다.

6:52
지금까지는 이 질병들을 고치기 위해 제가 '맨땅에 헤딩하는 의약품' 이라고 부르는 방법이 사용되었습니다. 그냥 화학 약품을 부어보자~식이었죠. 사실, 어느정도 먹히긴 했습니다. 그러나 만약, 정상세포가 암세포로 왜 변하는지 알게된다면 어떨까요? 그 암호는 무엇일까요? 정확히 어떤 지령을 받고 암세포로 변하는 걸까요? 그걸 알게 된다면 질병을 고치는 방법을 알게 되는거죠. 여러분의 즐거운 저녁식사를 위한 재미난 이야기를 하나 해 드리죠.

7:25
우리는 24,000 개의 일하는 유전자를 가지고 있습니다. 이밖에도 우리는 12만개의 유전자를 더 가지고 있습니다. 이들은 매일 일하지는 않지만 수만년 전부터 인류가 어떻게 존재해 왔는지 그 역사를 보여주는 유전자를 가지고 있지요. 흥미로운 점은, 쥐가 가지고 있는 유전자수가 똑같다는거에요.

7:48
최근 피노누아 포도의 유전자를 해독했는데, 이 또한 3만 여개의 유전자를 가지고 있습니다. 이는 결국, 특정 종의 복잡성이나 진화의 수준은 유전자수와 상관이 없다는 뜻입니다. 자, 주위를 둘러보세요. 바로 옆이나, 앞이나, 뒤를 보세요. 우리는 모두 다르게 생겼습니다. 잘생긴 사람, 예쁜 사람, 마른 사람, 통통한 사람, 다른 인종, 다른 문화. 모두 다릅니다. 그런데 우리는 모두 유전적으로 99.9% 동일합니다. 1%의 100분의 1 에 해당하는 유전자의 성질이 우리 모두를 다르게 만드는 것입니다. 정말 엄청 작은 숫자이지만, 결과적으로 그것이 인류와 다른 모든 종들을 다르게 만드는 핵심입니다.

8:39
이제 우리는 게놈에 대해 이해할 수 있게 되었습니다. 첫번째 게놈 연구는 10년간 3억 달러가 소요되었습니다. Craig Venter 박사에 의해서 진행되었습니다. 그 후, DNA 공동 발견자인 James Watson 이 2달간 2만 달러를 들여 게놈 분석을 하였습니다. 컴퓨터 산업에 대해 생각해봅시다. 우리는 그 큰 컴퓨터가 얼마나 작은 사이즈로 발전해왔는지, 성능과 속도가 얼마나 향상되었는지 보아왔습니다. 그리고 같은 일이 유전자 서열연구에 일어나고 있습니다. 현재 게놈의 서열 연구가 두 시간에서 두 시간 반 사이에 5000 달러로 가능한 시대의 막바지에 와 있습니다. 앞으로 5년 안에 현실에서 일어 날 것입니다.

9:20
어떤 의미이냐구요? 앞으로 우리는 각자의 게놈 정보가 담긴 카드를 가지고 다니게 될 것입니다. 이것 처럼요. 약을 살때, 모두를 위해 사용되는 약은 더 이상 사지 않아도 됩니다. 약사에게 당신의 게놈 정보를 건네주면, 당신을 위해서 만들어진 약을 받게 될 것이고, 그 약은 지금 사용하고 있는 약 보다 훨씬 효과가 좋을 것입니다. 부작용도 없을테고요. 광고에 나오는 기름 잔여물과 같은 부작용에 대해서는 걱정하지 않아도 됩니다. 그런 부작용은 다 사라질 것이에요.

9:51
그럼, 게놈은 어떻게 생겼을까요? 여기있습니다. 기다란 염기쌍으로 이루어져있습니다. 쥐의 게놈이나 사람의 게놈의 모양은 이것과 별반 다르지 않습니다. 과학자들은 현재, 게놈이 어떤 역할을 하는지, 어떤 의미인지 분석하고 있습니다. 왜냐하면, 자연은 끊임없이 빠르게 일을 실행하고 있기 때문입니다. 무슨말이냐구요? 여기 보이는 이 문장들이 포도의 유전자라고 가정했을때 이 문장들은 뿌리를 만들고, 가지를 만들고, 꽃을 피우게 하는 염기서열입니다. 이 아래쪽을 사람이라고 한다면, 혈액 세포를 만들으라는, 혹은 암세포를 시작하라는 의미일 수 있습니다. 제 경우엔, 섭취한 모든 칼로리는 지방으로 저장하라는 뜻일 수 있겠죠. 왜냐하면 저는 매우 추운 지방에서 왔거든요. 하지만 제 부인이라면, 세 배나 먹고도 살이 찌지 않는다는 암호일거에요. 이 모든 것들이 이 코드안에 숨겨져 있습니다. 그리고, 정신없이 빠른 속도로 분석되고 있지요.

10:53
결국, 게놈으로 무엇을 할 수 있을까요? 이제는 게놈을 읽을 수 있고 성경 속 생명책과 같은 것을 갖기 시작했는데 말이죠. (*생명책=구원받을 자들이 기록된 책) 매우 다양한 일을 할 수 있답니다. 어떤 이들은 정말 신날꺼구요, 어떤 이들은 소름돋을 수도 있습니다. 몇 가지 이야기를 해보죠. 어쩌면 이 얘기를 듣고 제게 구토를 하고 싶을 수도 있습니다, 괜찮아요. 아시다시피, 우리는 이제 유기체의 역사를 알 수 있습니다.

11:13
간단한 테스트 한 번이면 됩니다. 볼을 한 번 긁은 후, 보내버리면 끝이에요. 당신의 친족들이 어디서 왔는지 알 수 있고, 몇 천년 전 부터의 계보를 알 수도 있습니다. 기능에 대해서도 알 수 있는데, 이거 정말 중요하죠. 예를 들어, 동맥경화는 왜 일어나는지, 곡식의 탄수화물은 어떻게 생성되는지, 이스트는 왜 당의 대사작용을 통해 이산화탄소를 발생시키는지에 대해 이해할 수 있습니다. 또한 조금 더 크게 보면, 어떤 점이 문제를 만드는지, 무엇이 질병을 발생시키고 어떻게 치료할 수 있는지 알 수 있습니다. 이런것들을 알게 되면 더 좋은 유기체를 만들 수 있습니다.

11:54
가장 중요한 점은, 바로 자연이 우리에게 가장 멋진 공구박스를 제공해준다는 점입니다. 맞아요, 공구박스는 존재합니다. 우리보다 훨씬 똑똑하고 괜찮은 창조주가 그 공구박스를 우리에게 주었고, 인류는 이제 그것을 이용할 수 있는 능력을 갖게 되었습니다. 이제 게놈을 읽을 수 있을 뿐만 아니라 쓸 수도 있게 됐습니다.

12:15
제가 일하는 Synthetic Genomics 란 회사는 작은 세균의 게놈 전체를 만들어냈습니다. 미코플라즈마 제니탈리움이라고 불리우는 매우 원시적인 세균이죠. 방광염에 걸렸었거나, 혹은 걸린 상태라면 이 작은 세균에 감염되신 겁니다. 246개의 유전자로 이루어진 매우 간단한 세균이지만, 저희는, 이 게놈을 완벽히 합성해낼 수 있었습니다. 그렇다면 여러분은 이 게놈을 가지고 스스로에게 이렇게 질문 할 수도 있습니다. 만약 내가 합성된 게놈을 집어 넣을 수 있다면, 오래된 것을 꺼내고 새로운 게놈을 집어 넣을 수 있다면, 알아서 적응을 하고 살 수 있는 건가? 물론, 살 수 있답니다.

12:55
단순히 그것 뿐만이 아니에요. 만약 합성된 게놈을 이스트 같은 다른 생물에 집어 넣는다면 이스트를 미코플라즈마로 바꾸게 할 수 있는 겁니다. 이건 마치 일반 PC를 MAC OS 프로그램으로 부팅하는 것과 같은 겁니다. 물론, 다른 방법도 있어요. 게놈을 읽어내고 생물체에 집어 넣을 수 있다는 것은, 결국 소프트웨어로 하드웨어를 바꾸는 격인거죠. 이 점은 정말 중요합니다.

13:29
작년에, 프랑스와 이탈리아가 함께 피노누아 포도의 게놈을 해독했다고 발표하였습니다. 피노누아 종의 전체 염기서열이 모두 밝혀졌습니다. 29,000 여개의 유전자를 발견했습니다. 이를 통해 맛을 만들어내는 경로를 찾았습니다. 물론, 쏟아져 나오는 그 화합물들이 우리의 혀에 있는 게놈의 수용기와 매치가 되어야 그 맛을 알 수 있기는 합니다.

14:00
프랑스와 이탈리아는 또한 향을 만들어 내기 위한 엄청난 양의 활동들과, 질병에 취약한 지점도 알아냈습니다. 이를 통해, 피노누아에 대해 전체를 알 수 있는 능력 즉, 코드 전체를 읽어내고, 어떻게 작동하는 지에 대해 알 수 있는 능력을 갖게 되었습니다. 그럼 이제 무엇을 할까요? 간단한 채취를 통해 게놈을 읽을 수 있고, 쓸수 있고, 바꿀 수 있다는 사실을 알게 된 이제, 무엇을 할까요? 그 중 하나는, 피노누아를 변형하는거죠! 누군가는 프랑켄누아라고 부를 수 있겠죠. (웃음)

14:38
이제 더 좋은 품질의 포도를 생산할 수 있습니다. 그런데 말이죠, 당신이 알고 있는대로, 사람들은 유전자 변형 생물 때문에 스트레스를 받습니다만 이 동네 혹은 어디에서든 유전자가 변형되지 않은 포도나무는 단 한 그루도 없습니다. 그것들은 씨앗으로부터 자라나는 대신, 뿌리줄기에서 접목 되었습니다. 그들 스스로는 이 자연에서 존재할 수 없는 것들 입니다.

14:56
그러니 그것들에 대해 걱정하지도 말고, 스트레스를 받지도 마세요. 계속 해오던 일이니까요. 결국, 질병 저항성에 초점을 맞추어야 합니다. 그렇게 되면 엄청난 농업 기술이나 추가 비용없이 높은 수확량을 얻을 수 있게 됩니다. 상상컨대, 기후의 범위를 더 넓혀서, 롱아일랜드에서 피노누아를 재배할 수도 있을꺼에요, 사실 어림도 없겠지만. (웃음)

15:22
더 좋은 맛과 향을 만들어 낼 수도 있습니다. 라스베리, 초콜릿 향과 맛을 더 원하세요? 이 모든 일들이 가능하게 될 것입니다. 저 스스로 정말 된다고 믿고 있어요. 이때, 우리가 생각해봐야 할 것이 생태계입니다. 생태계에 생명체가 우리만 존재하는 것이 아닙니다. 우린 그저 큰 생태계의 일부일 뿐이죠.

15:43
이런 말을 해서 죄송하지만, 우리의 소화관에는 온 몸을 휘젓고 다니는 10 파운드 정도의 미생물이 있습니다. 해양에는 미생물들이 살고 있습니다. 사실, Craig Venter 가 해양에 서식하는 미생물들의 유전자를 해독하기 시작한 첫 세 달 동안, 기존에 지구상에 20피트 깊이의 바다에 산다고 알려진 미생물의 세 배가 발견 되었습니다. 그러한 미생물들이 우리의 환경에 더 큰 영향을 주고 이산화탄소와 산소를 조절한다는 것을 알 수 있습니다. 심지어 그런 역할을 한다고 생각했던 식물보다 훨씬 더 말이죠.

16:18
우리는 지구 모든 곳에서 미생물의 존재를 찾을 수 있습니다. 놀랍게도 얼음, 석탄, 바위 심지어 화산의 분출구에서도 찾을 수 있습니다. 식물로 관심을 돌려볼까요. 우리가 이제 막 게놈에 대해 이해하기 시작한 식물은 그 자체로 생태계의 하나 입니다. 뿌리시스템에는 미생물이 살아서 식물의 신진 대사 경로 만큼 식물의 성격 형성에 큰 역할을 하고 있습니다.

16:53
뿌리 시스템을 조금 더 자세히 들여다 보면, 매우 다양한 종류의 미생물 군락을 볼 수 있습니다. 이건 포도 농사꾼에게는 별 큰 뉴스꺼리가 아닙니다. 그들은 물과 비료, 그리고 제가 아까도 말했던 '맨땅에 헤딩하는 의약품' 등 이 그들의 주요 관심사죠. 어떤 비료는 더 주면 줄수록 식물을 조금 더 튼튼하게 합니다. 어떤 인자가 각각의 맛과 성질을 결정하는지 정확히 알 필요가 없었습니다. 이제 하나씩 짚어봅시다. 다들 테루아에 관심이 많죠. 와우, 이곳 테루아는 완벽해. 이곳을 보세요, 당신이 믿지 못할 만한 테루아를 만들어냈어요! 라고들 이야기합니다.

17:39
사실, 사람들은 무엇이 좋은 테루아를 만드는지에 대해 논쟁합니다. 테루아는 기후와 연관있어, 아니야 토양이야. 생각해 보세요, 뭘까요? 테루아의 핵심이 무엇인지 한 번 볼까요? 바로 저것입니다. 수천종의 미생물이 있습니다. 인류와 다르게 해독하기가 쉽죠. 1000~2000개 정도의 유전자를 가지고 있어서 그들을 파악하기 쉽습니다.

18:00
우리가 할 일은 단지, 땅을 돌아다니며 표본 조사를 하는 겁니다. 땅을 파서 벌레들을 찾아내고, 유전자를 해독하여 우리에게 이로운 점과 그렇지 않은 점과의 연관성을 찾아낸 후에 -아마 꽤 큰 데이터베이스가 되겠죠-비로소 비료를 주는 것입니다. 그렇게 되면, 테루아가 정확히 어떻게 이루어지는지 알겠죠. 아마 어떤 사람들은 이렇게 말할 껍니다. 세상에, 지금 신 노릇을 하는 거에요? 생각해보세요, 생물체를 조작하면 신 노릇을 하는 건가요? 정치적으로 항상 옳지많은 않았던 James Watson 에게도 이렇게 물을 꺼에요. (웃음) "당신 지금, 신 노릇을 하는 거에요?" 이 질문에 그는, 제가 생각지도 못했던 최고의 답을 하였습니다. "글쎄요, 누군가는 해야하겠죠." (웃음)

18:45
저는 제 스스로를 꽤나 종교적인 사람으로 여깁니다. 물론, 조직화된 종교 부분은 제외하고 말이죠. 자연스럽지 않은 것은 없다고 믿습니다. 화학적인 것이 자연스럽지 않다는 것은 더더욱 믿지 않죠. 제 얘기를 누군가는 불편하게 여길 수도 있다고 처음에 말씀드렸었죠. 사실은 매우 간단합니다. 우리는 분자나 화합물을 만들어내지 않습니다. 그들은 그냥 이 우주에 있습니다. 우리는 단지 그것들을 재조직하고, 바꾸는 작업을 할 뿐이지, 자연스럽지 않은 것을 만들어내지는 않습니다.

19:14
실제로, 우리는 매우 안 좋은 영향을 일으킬 수 있습니다. 우리 스스로를, 그리고 지구를 오염되게 만들수 있습니다. 하지만 그것은 우리가 저지른 실수에 대한 당연한 결과 입니다. 현재, 자연은 우리에게 툴박스같은 존재입니다. 매우 비싼 툴박스 인거죠. 믿거나 말거나, 가솔린을 만들어내는 미생물이 있습니다. 이스트같은 미생물을 생각해 봅시다. 미생물들은 화학 공장입니다. 자연이 제공할 수 있는 가장 복잡한 화학 공장인거죠. 그리고, 이제 우리가 그것들을 사용할 수 있습니다. 물론, 일종의 규칙이 있습니다.

19:47
자연이 모든 것을 용납하지는 않습니다. 우리는 포도나무를 조작해 만들어낼 수는 있지만, 우리는 포도나무가 새끼를 생산하도록 만들수 없습니다. 자연은 일련의 규칙을 만들어 두었습니다. 우리는 그 규칙을 지키며 일해야 합니다. 그저 그 규칙들이 무엇인지 배워가야 하는거죠. 한 가지 질문을 드리겠습니다. 만약 우리가, 작용 메커니즘을 이해한 것을 바탕으로 모든 질병을 사라지게 하고, 척박한 토양에서도 잘 자라는 영양소 많은 식물들을 만들어내어 모든 기아 문제를 해결하고, 뿐만 아니라 깨끗하고 풍부한 에너지를 생산해낸다면 어떨까요? Synthetic Genomics 연구실에는 이산화탄소를 흡수하여 가솔린과 같은 물질을 생산해 내는 단세포 생물이 있습니다. 즉, 설탕이나 그런 것들이 아닌, 우리가 항상 없애고 싶어하는 이산화탄소와 약간의 햇빛이 있으면 잘 정제된 지질을 얻게 됩니다. 우리는 지금의 에너지 문제를 해결할 수 있습니다. CO2 를 줄일수도, 바다를 깨끗하게 할 수도, 더 맛 좋은 와인을 만들 수도 있습니다. 할 수 있을까요? 제 생각에, 답은 매우 간단합니다. 자연이 인간에게 선사한 공구박스를 활용하는 것이 인류 진화의 다음 단계입니다.

21:06
마지막으로 말씀드리는 것은, 앞으로 20년만 건강하게 살아계세요. 그렇다면, 150 세 혹은 300 세 까지 사는 것이 가능한 세상을 보게 될 것입니다.

21:13
감사합니다.

서울 서초구 잠원동 76-5 금정빌딩 301호. TEL:070-8876-6988. MAIL:intertrot@gmail.com
Copyright ⓒ vegedoctor. All rights reserved